Dish name:Masala-Rice(Akki) Roti
What we need:
- Cooked rice-1 cup
- Rice flour-1/2 cup
- Onion-1 medium,very finely chopped
- Red chilli powder-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
- Garam masala powder-1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1/2 tsp
- Fresh grated coconut-3 tbsp
- Fresh coconut water-from 1 brown coconut (optional) or normal water for binding the dough
- Coriander leaves
- Oil for roasting
- Rice flour for rolling the rotis
How we make:
First add some water to the rice and grind it in mixer to form a paste.
- In a mixing bowl,add the rice paste,along with all the ingredients to form a medium hard dough
- Coconut water is added little by little to avoid making a soft dough
- Dough should be just like the one you make for any jowar or rice roti.(neither hard nor soft)
- Once the dough is ready cover it with a cloth
- Make the roti balls of any size you want
- Heat a tawa on medium flame
- On a flat surface or rolling board dust some flour and place the roti ball
- Sprinkle flour on the ball and start making the roti by patting it and applying pressure and slowly moving it in circular motion
- Keep sprinkling flour to avoid the roti sticking onto the board
- Make the roti as thin as you like but be sure not to tear it
- When tawa is ready, slowly lift the roti and place it on tawa upside down
- Top side of Roti on board should be directly on tawa
- Take 1/4 cup water and keep it aside
- Quickly dip a small cloth ball in water and spread the wet cloth on roti evenly to not leave any dry patches on roti
- When you notice water slowly drying up flip the roti and add ghee all over it and roast it,meanwhile make another roti
- Once the roti is cooked both sides place it on serving plate
- Make all the rotis same way
- Serve it hot with coconut chutney or tomato sauce
Total time spent :30 mins
I used left over cooked rice for this recipe but you can make this recipe with only rice flour .If cooked rice is very soft then you can mash it with hands to make paste instead of using a mixie .
Every time you cook roti with cooked rice it’s very important to add the rice flour to make perfect rotis,else the dough becomes too sticky .Add grated carrot if you like.I used fresh coconut and grated it and its juice for binding dough..But you can add just water if you using stored grated coconut .
If you feel it’s not easy making roti the traditional way ,then make dough a little hard , so that you can roll it with rolling pin easily just like how you make the chapati.
Or mix all the ingredients together with a little extra water and make the dough which is soft ,so that you can take a little dough easily in your hand and place it directly on tawa(preferable non stick)and start expanding it in circular form .each time dip your hand in water and quickly spread the dough before it turns hard on tawa.Then turn it the other side after 2-3 mins,now add oil on both sides and cook till it’s done.