Poha is actually beaten rice or flattened rice which is available as thick poha nylon poha or thin poha in most of the shops.For breakfast recipes we prefer thick poha .Sometimes we can also use thin poha for cooking but remember not to soak it for more than 2 mins else it will turn mushy.
Dish Name:(peas)Matar poha
What we need:
- Thick Poha(flattened rice)-2 cup
- Cooking oil- 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Cumin-1/4 tsp
- Fresh matar(peas)-1/4 cup
- Turmeric-1/2 tsp
- Onion -2 ,finely chopped
- Green chilly-2, finely chopped
- Curry leaves-6 to 7
- Lemon juice- 1 tsp
- Sugar as needed
- Coriander- 1/4 cup,chopped
- Fresh Coconut scrapped(optional)-3 tbsp
- Sev or farsan for garnishing
How we make:
Wash the poha and soak it in water for 5 mins till soft .keep it aside in a colander for excess water to drain and keep aside
- Heat oil in kadhai,when it’s ready add the mustard seeds
- When it splutters,add cumin,Curry leaves,green chillies and stir it
- Add the onions and fry for 3-4 mins until it changes colour to pink
- Add the peas and fry for a minute
- Sprinkle turmeric and salt and stir nicely
- Add the poha and mix it well with all the ingredients
- Finally add the coriander ,lemon juice,some sugar and close the lid for a min and serve it warm
- While serving you can garnish poha with lime juice, coconut,sev or farsan that you like.
Total time spent: 20 -25 mins
You can also add boiled and diced potatoes along with peas,it makes poha more tasty.Soak poha only to make it a little soft and then drain excess water.
If you like it spicy add more chillies and when you garnish it with fresh coconut the spicy flavour is balanced with sweetness of coconut.Some people like to add roasted groundnuts and farsan as well.Its up to you how you like to make it more flavourful ,but poha when served plain and hot is also very tasty.