Parboiled rice varieties are available in plenty in market.You can opt any of steamed rice varieties and try out flavourful and healthy dosas at home.Why we prefer the combination of white rice and steamed rice is because of its healthy and nutritious benefits when compared to white rice.Rich source of B vitamins and it has less dietary fiber,cooks easily and brings out a different flavor in recipes.
Dish Name: Parboiled Red Rice Dosa
What we need:
- Raw masoori rice-1/2 cup
- Red rice-1 cup
- Urad dal- 3 tbsp
- Methi seeds-1/4 tsp
- oil or ghee for roasting
How we make:
Wash the rice and dal separately
- Soak the dal,methi in one container for atleast 4-5 hours.
- Soak the rice in another vessel for about 7-8 hours.
- Now grind the dal till smooth and fluffy by adding water slowly and pour the mixture into the vessel that you will use for fermentation process.
- Also grind the rice but keep the batter a little grainy texture (like sooji rava)not completely smooth.
- Add this mixture into the dal and mix it gently.If needed add some water but keep batter thick not flowing consistency.
- Cover the vessel and keep in warm place to help fermentation process to take place easily.
- Keep it overnight and next morning you will notice bubbles in the batter indicating the fermentation and batter volume has slightly risen.
- If at all you feel the batter did not rise then keep it for some more time and check,else add 1/ 4 tsp cooking soda to make batter fluffy.
- Now add salt as needed and once again check consistency of batter ,add water only if required.
- Take a dosa pan and keep it ready for cooking.
- Grease the pan and pour a laddle full of batter onto the centre of the pan and quickly spread the mixture in circular motion making the dosa thin and crispy like.
- Pour ghee or oil over the dosa,close a lid for a min.
- When the edges turn light brown and Dosa is cooked on all sides,take out the dosa on serving plate
Serve hot with sambar and chutney or aloo sabzi
Total time spent: soaking time+ fermentation time + (20 mins) cooking time for 10-12 dosas
In this recipe, I have grated cheese on dosa and then spread dry peanut chutney powder on which is a layer of potato sabzi and then served it warm.